The first trailer for Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery has arrived, and it teases the arrival of some familiar characters.
This trailer sees the introduction of Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount), who is leaving the Enterprise in order to take command of the Discovery to investigate some mysterious “red bursts.” There’s also another (slightly more exciting) tease that Mr. Spock could well be appearing later on in the season. This lines up, as the first season of Discovery ended with the crew answering a distress call from the Enterprise – roughly a decade before Captain Kirk would come on the scene.
What is unusual about this trailer is the dramatic tone change from that of the first season, as is it far more upbeat and playful. In fact, this is also reflected in the chosen dialogue, as we see Pike say “Wherever our mission takes us, we try to have a little fun along the way.”
This change could have come from the behind the scenes shake-up that saw Alex Kurtzman take over showrunning duties from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg.
CBS has also announced that there will be a quartet of short episodes that will roll out this fall, called Star Trek: Short Treks.
“Each episode will deliver closed-ended stories while revealing clues about what’s to come in future Star Trek: Discovery episodes,” said Kurtzman, “They’ll also introduce audiences to new characters who may inhabit the larger world of Star Trek.”
While each panel member kept their cards close to their chest, Entertainment Weekly managed to compile a list of some of the things that they did let slip, including:
- Mount revealed that Rebecca Romjin will play “Number One”— a second-in-command character from the original series’ unaired pilot — and seen briefly in a later episode, played by Majel Barrett Roddenberry. (The wife of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, she went on to play other roles in the various iterations of the series.)
- The crowd got a glimpse of Tig Notaro’s character Reno, who looks like she may serve as comic relief for Discovery.
- Wilson Cruz, whose character Dr. Hugh Culber “died” in the first season, confirmed that he will be back, but wouldn’t give away how that might come to pass beyond what’s already known about his connection to the mycelial network. (It’s complicated.) He did revel in the fact that his relationship with Lt. Paul Stamets, co-star Anthony Rapp, played a role in saving the day in the first season. “This gay love has saved all the universes, you’re welcome,” said Cruz with a smile.
- We will get to visit the home planet of Kelpien character Saru in the Short Treks series, played by the incomparable Doug Jones — and he’s very excited.
- On a sweet note, Mount noted that Chris Hunter, the son of Jeffrey Hunter who originated the role of Pike, had come to Comic-Con “just to shake my hand and tell me he thinks his father would’ve been happy with this casting.”
The trailer confirms that Discovery will return in early 2019.